Restoring Your Home to Earn More Money

Restoring Your Home To Earn More Money

Mold Clean-Up Tips To Keep You And Your Family Safe From Mold-Health Risks

by Christine Matthews

A water leak inside your home can cause moisture damage to interior walls and ceilings, insulation, and other materials inside your home, and can also lead to mold growth. Mold growth inside your home poses a health risk and needs to be remedied safely to avoid further contamination during and after clean-up. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family safe from mold spore contamination while cleaning up after mold growth inside your home.

Reduce Mold Spore Circulation

Mold spores that become air borne before and during cleaning puts you at risk of inhalation, which can lead to breathing problems and other health risks, so it is a good idea to keep the air as clean as possible inside your home during clean-up. As you clean off any mold from surfaces in your home, spray the mold growth with a spray bottle filled with a water and vinegar mixture before wiping or sucking it up with a shop vacuum. This moistens the dry mold spores and helps keep them from floating into the air. Vinegar also kills a majority of mold spores on contact to eliminate their future growth.

As you remove any wall, ceiling, and floor materials, cut them into smaller-sized sections you can seal inside a heavy-duty trash bag. This keeps the mold spores contained during and after clean-up. Discard these bags of moldy items into a dumpster.

If you are cleaning any carpeting or other surfaces, remove them outside to clean them to prevent further mold spore contamination of your home's interior. While cleaning items inside your home, open your home's windows and place fans inside them to help circulate the air out of your home. Talk to a HVAC professional about cleaning out your home's ventilation system to remove any mold spores that may be present inside them.

Prevent Mold Spore Contact

Although it is recommended to take necessary precautions to reduce the chance of spores becoming air borne, this can still occur so you should wear breathing protection to help protect your health. Wear a breathing mask or an N95 respirator that is designed to trap mold spores from the air you inhale. Also wear goggles to protect your eyes. Cover your arms, legs, and feet with protective clothing, especially rubber gloves, as you don't want your skin to come in contact with mold spores, as this can cause allergic reactions.

After you have used a rag or sponge to clean up mold inside your home, discard the items to prevent mold growth. Also discard your protective clothing after wearing them or wash them in the hottest setting and dry them in a hot dryer. For more information, contact companies like Colfax Corporation.


Share  

About Me

Restoring Your Home To Earn More Money

I have always loved the idea of finding an older home and making it beautiful, but a few years ago I was left struggling with what to do with a home that seemed beyond repair. It was old, outdated, and incredibly damaged, but I knew that I could make things better by doing a few things a little differently. I began to work with a professional contractor to identify different areas that we should start on, and within a few short weeks things were moving along. This website is all about restoring your home to earn more money, and knowing how to identify challenges that you can't fix on your own.

Categories

Archive